Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Holidays. Are they even worth the mention?

The holidays are approaching fast. We are a mere 40 minutes away from Halloween as I type this. Here is a concept that I started pondering a few minutes ago. Halloween will be here in mere minutes whether I like it or not, even if I wanted to change it I couldn't. Aren't our characters faced with the same things? Assuming that your world even has celebrated holidays by its peoples.

As long as time passes in your world their are bound to be holidays celebrated by the characters in your works. Your main character may not celebrate the holiday but that won't change the fact that the holiday is there and others probably will be celebrating it. If I chose not to participate in Halloween it would not stop hundreds of trick-or-treaters from roaming the block in search of candy.

Now the big question of the day is, are holidays worth even just a passing mention in your stories to reflect the culture and goings on of the world your characters inhabit, or is it just useless fluff that adds to the word count unless it bears a direct influence on your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment